Black pioneers inspiring medical history: An educational scavenger hunt

blackhistory-cmumuseum-38
Courtesy of Rebecca Petrone. Taken from a similar program organized last year by Victoria Boykin.

The Black Pioneers in Medicine: A Scavenger Hunt Event is at 6 p.m. Monday, Feb. 26 at the Central Michigan University Museum of Cultural and Natural History, Rowe 124.  

The event is to celebrate diversity and bring attention to Black individuals who have made huge strides in Medicine, Museum Educator Rebecca Petrone said in an email.

It will begin by introducing eight medical pioneers with their life history and accomplishments and will follow with a scavenger hunt awarding prizes. 

The scavenger hunt will entail participants exploring the museum to find clues relating to the individuals discussed in the presentation.

Victoria Boykin, a museum student assistant, developed the Black Pioneers in Medicine, a MAC-approved event, in honor of Black History Month.  

Patrone said this program aims to spread awareness of the accomplishments made by Black individuals pursuing medicine.

“I hope that participants will gain an appreciation for the achievements of Black individuals within the medical field who faced all sorts of challenges, including discrimination and prejudice,” she said. “I hope participants are also inspired to dive deeper into the history presented during the program in order to better inform themselves and others.”