'I want the students to know I love 'em'

Board of Trustees moves forward with presidential search, emeritus rank

d_boardoftrustees_1-6-24_08

CMU President Bob Davies laughs at a remark made during the Board of Trustees meeting, Tuesday, Feb. 6, in the Bovee University Center. (CM-Life | Nico Mendoza)  

Students, faculty and staff received notice of President Bob Davies' resignation last Wednesday, Jan. 31. In the press conference following Tuesday's Board of Trustees meeting, he explained why he is departing. 

The presidential conference room on the third floor of the Central Michigan University Bovee Center was a packed house at 11 a.m. on Feb. 6, as people gathered to watch the full session of the Board of Trustees. 

The space was standing-room-only, filled not only with people but the buzz of conversation and an emotional weight for many. 

On the agenda was the usual: a report of the university president and the recognition of faculty and staff members receiving emeritus rank. Next to the unusual: an update on the search for a new president. 

“I’ve got 11 months, and my goal is very simple: this university,” Davies said. 

Davies said his decision to leave was a personal one, motivated by a need to spend time with his family, especially his wife. 

“We haven’t had a family vacation where it was just the two of us, and it’s a time now where we’re in a position to do that,” Davies said. He cited a comment from the former chancellor of the University of Texas, who said “being a university president is the hardest job in America, if not the world.”

Despite the challenges, he said -- referencing enrollment numbers and the COVID-19 pandemic -- the people at this university kept him going. 

“Even after nearly six years on this campus, I still marvel at the passion from our students, our staff, our faculty, our alumni and our many, many supporters,” Davies said. “That fired up energy, that drive, that passion and that dedication is what made this decision to step down as president at the end of this year so very, very difficult." 

Also recognized by board members at the meeting were 14 staff and faculty members who received emeritus rank, which is a recognition that allows retiring long-time faculty and staff to maintain an honorary version of their job title:  

• Carrie Appold (2003-2024)
  • Sergio Chavez (1981-2023)
  • Ann Ellis (1985-2024) 
  • Lenora Kendrick (1992-2024) 
  • Mary Lou Morey (1998-2023)
  • Mark Nerbonne (1999-2023)
  • Stan Shingles (1989-2024) 
  • Karl Smart (2002-2024)
  • Jim Streng (2013-2023) 
  • Chelakara “Babu” Subbaraman (2002-2023)
  • Theresa Ellis (1999-2023) 
  • Thomas Ridley (1987-2023) 

Five of the above were present to be recognized, seven were not in attendance and two, George Ronan and Samuel Spralls, have passed away. 

"Thank you to our administration, but most of all, thank you to our students for providing me with just an incredible opportunity to work at Central Michigan University and represent this university in so many ways," Stan Shingles, assistant vice president of Student Affairs, said after receiving his emeritus rank. "My parents taught me a lot of good things, and one thing was 'always leave it better than you found it,' so I was fortunate." 

CMU President Bob Davies, left, and Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs Stan Shingles, right, embrace after Shingles' speech, Tuesday, Feb. 6, in the Bovee University Center. Shingles is retiring after more than 34 years with CMU. (CM-Life | Nico Mendoza) 

“CMU is about the people, it’s about the students, the alumni,” Davies said, referencing the university’s mission statement. “If we’re going to have successful students and successful alumni, we have to have an amazing faculty. And we do.”

He added that when he gets up in the morning, he feels inspired by the students here. 

“CMU students, they’re gritty, every day they work hard,” Davies said. “It’s amazing what they’re able to achieve, so I want the students to know I love ‘em.” 

The search for a new president formally began during the meeting, as Chair Todd Regis designated Trustee Denise Williams Mallett to lead the search committee. 

Mallett said the search committee, according to university bylaws, must have between 13 to 19 people on it, with the following positions filled: 

• The Provost
  • Chairperson of the Academic Senate
  • President of the CMU Alumni Association
  • President of the Student Government Association
  • One administrator
  • One additional student 
  • A representative from the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe
  • A member of the general public 
  • Additional positions that will balance the group at the committee chair's discretion

The authority of Mallett to lead the committee, establish search parameters and negotiate terms of the agreement with the next president passed almost unanimously. Only one member of the board, Vice Chair Michael Sandler, abstained from the vote. 

Davies shared what he would tell the incoming president, whoever that ends up being. 

“There’s a little secret among university presidents: there’s always an envelope in the desk,” Davies said. “When you walk into the office for the first time and you leave, you leave a letter. 

“And my letter will say ‘embrace the students.’”