'What matters is who you are'

International student athlete Ashley Goh's journey from Malaysia to Mount Pleasant

ashley-gogh
Photo illustration.

Growing up in a small, tightly-knit family in Johor Bahru, Malaysia, Ashley Goh, an international student athlete on the women’s golf team, shared a special bond with her brother through sports, specifically softball and golf. Being nine years younger, Goh looked for things to do that followed in her brother’s footsteps.

As an adolescent, Goh took a liking to many different sports, with softball being her favorite. However, her transition to the United States meant leaving behind softball at the age of 16, as golf opened new opportunities for her. 

“I actually really liked softball,” Goh said. “It was a team sport and I had friends playing the sport with me. Golf is such an individual sport, I’m always alone. … It’s just hard sometimes but I don’t regret the decision and I am glad I am here right now.”

With golf being popular in the U.S., Goh decided to pursue her passion here. Following in the footsteps, Goh saw the success others from Malaysia received in the U.S. It was ideal for her to get her education while doing something she loved. 

“I actually submitted my application to every Division I school in the U.S. for golf,” Goh said. “I had a few responses back, but when I talked to the previous (CMU) coach, he really made me feel welcomed, and I met the girls not in person but virtually. I thought it would be a good fit for me to be here.”

After realizing that CMU was her home for the next four years, Goh packed up her stuff and blindly moved to Mount Pleasant. All she knew were the people she met through a Facetime call and pictures of campus life. 

Spending four years on a campus that was not diverse like her hometown, Goh was unsure of how people would adapt to her on campus but was surprised to see an immersive amount of support from coaches and teammates.

“I’ve never been bullied or looked down on, which I’m really grateful for,” Goh said. “I know some people go through racism just because you’re an Asian, which I expected it to happen coming here. I’m really grateful for my teammates and my coach...they really make me feel comfortable, instead of judging me for being who I am.”

Being of Asian descent, Goh acknowledges the positive experiences she’s had so far. Coming from a diverse town, it’s obvious to Goh that the Asian population in the country is underrepresented. 

“The percentage of Asians in America is so much less,” Goh said. “We’re not as recognized here as back home, and I think this is something that should be promoted. Asian women in sports and Asians in sports, in general, should be constantly promoted, it would be cool to see more representation.”

Beyond just playing golf, Goh’s experience became a way to learn about American culture, make new friends and have a college experience, all while facing the challenges of being an international student. Sadly, after moving her life here in 2020, this opportunity was cut short due to COVID-19.

Without forming connections with peers on campus, Goh struggled with having the college experience that she initially thought she would have, making it harder to connect with people outside of sports. 

“We were just asked to be in our own bubbles,” Goh said. “We weren’t allowed to socialize with other people, except for my team who lived in the dorms. I look back now and see the (current) freshman and they have so many more friends because they’re allowed to socialize.”

Balancing academics and sports, making connections in a foreign land, and facing the uphill battle of COVID-19 have been significant challenges. Yet, Goh’s resilience shines through. The struggles have shaped her, molding her into a stronger individual ready to face whatever comes next.

“It was a slow transition,” Goh said. “Senior year has been better because now I have friends from the international student organization. I’ve met some really good people there. … Because they are also international students, it’s so much easier to connect with them. I think it’s a really good organization to join.”

Being away from family is never easy, but Goh copes by visiting home every summer and winter. Being family-oriented from a young age, she keeps her family updated, finding peace in the fact that the physical distance has not affected her family life.

Life in Mount Pleasant, though different from her hometown, has been an amazing experience for Goh. While coming from a busy and high speed town, she has come to love the peacefulness that Mount Pleasant brings. 

“I like it a lot,” Goh said. “I think it’s so calm and peaceful because there’s not a lot going on but there’s enough to live your physical everyday life and still be happy. I am really enjoying it so far, and I am sad to be leaving here in a couple of months.”

As Goh approaches the end of her college journey, the question of what lies ahead arises. Golf may not be at the forefront; instead, she’s thinking about her career path. Majoring in interior design, she envisions herself working in a bigger city. With plans to work in Chicago, Goh is open to experiencing new opportunities. She continues the same mindset she had when deciding to spend four years of her life in Mount Pleasant.

“As of now, I don’t think I’ll turn professional for golf,” Goh said, preparing to close out her final season. “I mean if it happens, it happens, but that’s not my number one plan. I did an internship last summer in Chicago which was a completely unfamiliar place to be at. It was amazing … I’ll probably try and get a job back there.”

In a world where sports meet cultures, Goh’s journey goes beyond golf. It takes courage, adaptability, and breaking barriers - a story that resonates far beyond the boundaries of any golf course. 

When thinking about those who will come after her, she encourages standing strong in one’s identity, believing that recognition will come as a natural consequence of talent and diversity.

“Always stand on your ground and never change who you are,” Goh said. “At the end of the day, what matters is who you are and not who you are trying to follow. You are trying to build a reputation for yourself, and that’s important because you want to be a leader and not a follower.”