'I do not want to see these programs go away'

Academic Senate discusses teach out of clinical psychology Ph.D, grad assistant funding

d_mathews_senate_art_092722
Provost Nancy Mathews gives a report during an Academic Senate meeting on Sept. 27 in the French Auditorium.

Provost Nancy Mathews and Interim Vice President for Research and Innovation Brad Swanson discussed R2 funding, graduate assistants and students (GA and GS) losing budgeting, and the cutting of an older doctoral during the Academic Senate meeting Tuesday.

According to the North Carolina Agricultural and Technological State University website, there are three categories for doctoral granting universities: R1 funding is for very high research activity, while R2 is designated for high research activity and D/PU funding is for doctoral/professional universities. 

CMU, which is an R2 school, will get less funding but will still get $5 million, according to Swanson.

"So we're right smack dab in the middle of the pack for an hour," Mathews said. "I feel secure with our standing, and that's not going to change."

Mathews was asked about a plan to cut one of the earliest doctoral programs at CMU -- psychology -- while supporting newer programs. 

“I do not want to see these programs go away," she said. "It hurts me to the core to think that we would be losing to programs that are accredited.

“Under the circumstances, that is not an option for us because of the reduction in our budget, due to the reduction in the number of students here.”

She also mentioned how the newer programs, which are classified, are meant to be self-sufficient.

“We are very definitely looking at the self-sustainability of these programs as they move forward,” Mathews said.

Swanson answered a question about the amount of money departments would be getting from CMU -- not from external grants -- for GAs:

• College of Arts and Media got $206,322, worth six GAs
  • College of Education and Human Services got $209,452, worth six GAs
  • College of Health Professions got $384,827, worth 11 GAs
  • College of Science and Engineering got $461,387, worth 13 GAs
  • College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences got $676,307, worth 19 GAs
  • The College of Business Administration's amount was not disclosed because they returned their amount this year.

"There was a termination of proportion going to different colleges," Mathews said,