CMU baseball goes 0-3 at Kent State to kick off MAC play

d-baseballvskentstate-photo-3-24-2023-3
Redshirt freshman infielder Luke Sefcik steals third base during a doubleheader against Kent State, Friday, March 24 in Keilitz Field at Theunissen Stadium. Sefcik had two hits during the doubleheader.

Central Michigan baseball kicked off Mid-American Conference play in a three-game series versus Kent State this past weekend. 

The Chippewas went 0-3 on the weekend as their overall record fell to 3-11.

Game 1

The first four innings of game one were scoreless, but both teams broke through in the fifth with the Chippewas scoring off of an RBI from senior third baseman Ely Stuart and the Golden Flashes scoring off of a solo home run.

The sixth inning was the difference maker as KSU hit a homer to right field that brought in three runners and gave them the 4-1 lead. 

Central Michigan scored two runs in the eighth off of a KSU error, but the Golden Flashes answered right back with two runs of their own and the game would end at 6-3 after a scoreless ninth inning.

Game 2

The second game was a low-scoring affair as KSU got out early starting with an RBI single out to third base, a home run to left center field and a home run out to right center field brought their lead up to 3-0.

After being shut out in the first seven innings, the Chippewas got on the board in the eighth off of an RBI from senior centerfielder Jake Brill. 

However, it wasn't enough as the Golden Flashes walked away with the win 3-1.

Game 3

After a scoreless first inning, KSU exploded for seven runs in the second inning including a home run that brought in two runners. It extended its lead to nine in the third off of two RBIs and tacked on four more in the fourth.

CMU finally got on the board in the fifth off of an RBI from Stuart, but the Golden Flashes were not done as they added four more runs to cap off their dominant performance. 

Senior first baseman Danny Wuestenfeld scored on an error by KSU in the seventh, but by then, the game was well out of reach.

The game ended after seven innings as the Golden Flashes completed the rout 17-2.

The Chippewas look to get a much-needed win in Oxford, Ohio next week as they take on the Miami Redhawks in a three-game series. The series starts Friday at 3 p.m.