CMU baseball continues to struggle, drops both games to Oral Roberts

20220410-img-8207
Freshman pitcher, Adam Mrakitsch, high-fiving his teammate after making in for home base and gaining another point for CMU.

CMU baseball finished up its stay in Oklahoma this week with back-to-back games against Oral Roberts. The Chippewas lost both games against the Golden Eagles on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Game 1

After a scoreless first inning, CMU faced an onslaught of scores the rest of the way. Starting at the bottom of the second, ORU got on the board with five runs off a couple of RBIs. They followed that up with a home run in the third that brought in two runners. 

With the score standing at 7-0, the Chippewas finally got on the board in the fourth with three runs off of an RBI from senior first baseman Danny Wuestenfeld. He would then go on to score after stealing second and eventually reaching home off of a hit from senior catcher Drew Stengren.

Central Michigan could not get a stop the rest of the way as it suffered its fourth double-digit loss this season by a final score of 15-5.

Game 2

Plagued by another slow start and at risk of letting another game get out of hand, the Chippewas found themselves down 6-1 going into the fifth inning. But they would not back down as they scored four runs in the fifth.

Bringing the score within one and gaining some momentum, CMU looked to get a stop on the mound. But the Golden Eagles had other plans as a home run and two RBIs brought their lead back to five.

A home run in the eighth by senior third baseman Ely Stuart cut the deficit to three, but in the end, it wasn’t enough as the Chippewas came up short 10-7.

With the losses, Central Michigan falls to 3-11 on the season.

CMU travels to Kent, Ohio this weekend to take on the Kent State Golden Flashes in a three-game series to kick off Mid-American Conference play. The series starts Friday at 4 p.m.