CMU softball ends series 1-2 against rivals WMU

d-softballvstoledo-photo-4-2-2024-03
Central Michigan's softball team celebrates with senior outfielder Michaleigh Vallimont, 41, after Vallimont threw out a runner on third base from right field during game one of a doubleheader against Toledo, Tuesday, April 2 at Margo Jonker Stadium. (Marie Underwood | CM-Life)

Central Michigan softball traveled to rival territory for a weekend series against Western Michigan. 

After three games, it ended the series 1-2. The Chippewas are now 7-23 overall and 4-5 in conference play. As Mid-American Conference play continues, CMU stands in seventh place. 

Game 1

Western Michigan opened strong with a double and later advanced, ultimately scoring the first run of the game off of an RBI single.

Both teams struggled to find momentum in the second inning, with Central Michigan's batters unable to connect against Western Michigan's pitcher. The inning closed without any runs scored.

Central Michigan's offense came alive in the top of the third as senior center fielder Abbey Tolmie hit a double to bring home junior shortstop Maddie Springer, narrowing the lead. 

However, Western Michigan maintained its defensive effort, preventing further scoring opportunities for the Chippewas .

Western Michigan ignited in the bottom of the fourth, with a homer after a double, extending its lead 3-1. Central Michigan fought back but couldn't capitalize on its chances.

In the end, CMU failed to score again, leaving the score 3-1 against the Broncos.

Game 2

Momentum didn't get started until the bottom of the second on Saturday after an opportunity from the Broncos gave them the lead. 

The Chippewas bounced back in the third inning with Tolmie's second double of the game, followed by a run scored on an error by Western Michigan's pitcher. However, the inning concluded with CMU unable to extend their lead.

Western Michigan responded strongly in the bottom of the third and fourth innings, scoring a run in each inning to take the lead, 3-1.

With time running out, the Chippewas searched for a spark in the sixth inning, but they couldn't break through Western Michigan's defense. 

Despite a single from second baseman Skylar Coberley, Central Michigan couldn't capitalize on the opportunity to narrow the deficit. The Chippewas suffered their second loss to the Broncos 4-1.

Game 3

After losing two games, CMU earned its momentum back in a thrilling match against the Broncos to end the weekend series on Sunday. 

After WMU took the small lead, Central Michigan broke through in the second inning, capitalizing on a single from Coberley and an error by Western Michigan's third baseman. 

A single from Springer drove in two runs, giving Central Michigan an early lead of 2-1.

Western Michigan quickly responded in the bottom of the third, tying the game at two. 

Central Michigan regained its lead in the fourth inning as Grace Koenig's double drove in Coberley. Additionally, Tolmie's single allowed two more runs to cross the plate, putting the Chippewas ahead 5-2.

As the remaining innings played out, neither team scored leaving the final score 5-2, securing CMU's first win of the weekend. 

The Chippewas will travel to Ann Arbor to take on Michigan in a non-conference matchup on Wednesday at 6 p.m.