CMU to host magic show by autistic magician Cody Clark

d-volleyballvsniu-aa-photo-101823-11
Central Michigan Universty hosts at the Autism Acceptance game against Northern Illinois, Saturday, Oct. 21, in McGuirk Arena. (CM-Life | Jenna Spanola)

April is Autism Acceptance Month, and the community at Central Michigan University has a truly magical experience lined up for the occasion. 

Cody Clark, an autistic magician, will perform for students and share his experience living with autism. Starting at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, April 16 in the Health Professions Building Auditorium, Clark will provide entertainment to students before diving into a deeper discussion on autism and acceptance.  

Coming from Kentucky, Clark has experience performing magic and discussing autistic advocacy across universities. His visit to campus is being funded by the Accessibility and Disability Advisory Committee at CMU. 

AnnMarie Bates is the Speech Language Pathologist Master Clinical Educator at CMU. She also served on the committee that reached out to Clark for the event. 

“We wanted something unique that might be of interest to our students overall, but a little more fun than a typical speaker," she said. "We also wanted to highlight that there are adults with autism, and they are successful and all around us.” 

Bates said Clark has been easy to work with when planning for this event, and that she’s excited he’ll be the "headliner” event on campus for Autism Acceptance Month. 

“From my interactions with Cody, this will be a lot of fun," she said. "I really hope that a lot of people attend and see what he has to offer. I think it’s going to be very creative and unique.” 

Following the magic show, there will be a panel discussion from autistic students discussing their experiences living with autism and pursuing higher education. 

Admission to the event is free. Students can learn more about the event on the CMU events page and about Clark on his website.