Softball sweeps doubleheader against Detroit Mercy

It did not take long for the CMU softball team to find its offense as it shut out Detroit Mercy in back-to-back games, outscoring the Titans 17-0.

CMU (12-7) won the opening game 9-0 and followed it with an 8-0 victory.

Junior second baseman Brittini Merchant started the scoring in the second game with a two-run home run, her second of the season. Redshirt-freshman catcher Brogan Darwin followed suit with a two-run homer of her own in the fourth inning, and Junior designated hitter Amanda Patrick added a three-run homer in the top of the fifth inning.

Central coach Margo Jonker said the team came out and set the tone early in the game.

“The team hit early and had good power, knocking the ball out of the park, which is always fun to see," she said.

Redshirt-freshman Sarah Patterson pitched four shutout innings, giving up two hits and striking out six. Sophomore Courtney King relieved her in the fifth inning, holding the Titans scoreless as well. The win was Patterson’s first of her collegiate career.

“Sarah hasn’t seen a lot of time and really stepped up today,” Jonker said. “She got ahead of the count early and stayed ahead and, when you can do that, you tend to be successful.”

By NCAA rule, after five innings of play, an eight-run lead at the end of an inning marks the end of the game.

Opener

Senior outfielder Christina Novak started the first game with a single and scored after back-to-back steals and a wild pitch that sent her home. Sophomore shortstop Molly Coldren followed with a two-run homer, setting the bar early in the game.

Novak put the game away in the sixth inning, emptying the bases with a grand slam, and shutting down Detroit’s hopes of a comeback. CMU’s nine-run lead was enough to mercy its opponent after six innings.

Freshman Kara Dornbos pitched the first five innings, giving up Detroit’s only hit in the bottom of the fourth. She also added three walks and four strikeouts in her fifth win of the season. Patterson finished the game in the circle, giving up no hits and striking out two.

The team finished with one error on the day, while Detroit (2-8) finished with six.