CM Life men's track and field athlete of the year: Alex Rose

pf_sportrait_09-copy
Perry Fish/Staff Photographer

Alex Rose

The sophomore thrower has consistently been one of the top performers on the men’s team since he arrived on campus last year. He is the favorite to win the Mid-American Conference Ourdoor Championships next month.

The West Branch native currently sits fifth in the country in the discus throw with a toss of 192 feet and seven inches. He set the career best mark earlier this season at the Ed Adams Invitational, one of two meets he has won so far this year.

He was named MAC Athlete of the Week on April 5. In addition to the discus, Rose currently sits third in the coference in the shot put. Last summer he competed in the discus for team USA at the International Association of Athletics Federations World Junior Championships in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada.

Honorable Mention: Mykal Imbrock

Imbrock, in her senior year has blossomed as a thrower for CMU. She set the school record in the hammer throw on April 15 at the John Jacobs Invitational with a throw of 187 feet. The Hamler, Ohio native currently sits fifth in the MAC in the event. She set a new career best in the weight throw at the 2011 MAC Indoor Championships.

Honorable Mention: Ryan McCullough

The current school record holder in the hammer throw with a throw of 202 feet five inches, a record he broke on April 15 at the John Jacobs Invitational.  The Cadillac native has consistently improved his personal best in the event since the start of the outdoor season.

He won the hammer throw at the Toledo Collegiate Challenge on April 2. He also set a career best in the weight throw at the 2011 Mid-American Conference Indoor Championships where he finished fourth.