Softball bats come alive, sweeping Detroit

The Central Michigan softball team brought out its thumping sticks Tuesday scoring a season-high 14 and 11 runs against the Detroit Titans.

The Chippewas defeated the Titans 14-4 and 11-1 with both games ending after a five-innings mercy rule during the double header.

In the first game, CMU trailed 3-2 heading into the top of the fourth inning, but erupted for 11 runs in the frame, grasping a firm hold on the game.

“It took us a little bit to get started, but once we got started, everyone caught on fire and that’s what we need to have,” head coach Margo Jonker said.  “We took advantage of their missed pitches and really hit the ball well.”

The Chippewas (13-11) used four homeruns to power their offense led by senior Molly Coldren. She drove in three while collecting three hits, including a home run.

“I thought she really looked nice,” Jonker said.  “She was relaxed and her hands were loose at the plate and when she’s in that mode, she’s a great hitter.”

Junior pitcher Kara Dornbos earned the win pitching three innings while giving up three runs.  She improved her record to 6-5 on the season.

In the second game, CMU stormed out to an 11-0 lead heading into the bottom of the third inning.  Sophomore Chelsea Sundberg pitched the first three innings to earn the win and gave up one run.

Jonker was pleased with how some of her younger players swung the bat in both games.

Freshman Chelsea DeLamielleure hit her first two home runs of the season and freshman CarolAnn Sexauer hit her third and fourth.

“We saw power from some of our youth which is good to see,” Jonker said.  “Any time you exuberate that kind of power, it means you’re swinging the bat well.”

Tuesday’s games were the last two non-conference games before CMU opens up Mid-American Conference play Friday at Kent State.

Jonker said she hopes this offensive outburst can continue into the weekend.

“We have to swing at the good pitches that they give us and we did a great job of that today so we need to carry that into conference play,” Jonker said.  “We’re going to see different pitching and it’s going to be more challenging, but if we can keep our hands loose at the plate, then we will be in good shape.”