Football player Austin White wanted by police for alleged drug offenses, two players also arrested

sawicki

Two Central Michigan University football players were jailed Tuesday, while sophomore running back Austin White remains wanted by police.

Sophomore tight end Joe Sawicki and freshman receiver Danel Harris were arrested by CMU police inside a residence hall on campus, Police Chief Bill Yeagley confirmed to Central Michigan Life. Yeagley said both men were arrested “without incident.”

Yeagley said the arrests stem from an investigation into stolen property that began last week.

“When we went to the room to locate the property, we discovered drugs,” Yeagley said. “Once we discover those things, we have to conduct a further investigation.”

Harris, of Miramar, Fla., was arrested for felony larceny of a vehicle, Yeagley said. He remained lodged in jail Tuesday night on a $10,000 cash bond. Only 10 percent is needed to be paid for release.

White faces charges of manufacturing and delivering narcotics, possession and maintaining a drug house. His whereabouts are currently unknown.

Sawicki, of Mokena, Ill., also faces charges of manufacturing and delivering narcotics, possession of narcotics and maintaining a drug house. He was lodged in Isabella County Jail Tuesday, arraigned and released on a cash bond.

White, from Livonia, transferred to CMU from the University of Michigan following the 2010 season. After sitting out the 2011 season because of NCAA transfer requirements, he was suspended indefinitely from the program for a violation of team rules. He was later reinstated within the program by head coach Dan Enos.

The CMU directory lists White and Sawicki living in a terrace-level room in Celani Hall. It is unknown where Harris lives.

The three were among five CMU football players, with sophomore receiver Deon Butler and sophomore defensive back Kevin King, publicly suspended for Saturday’s spring game in what the university called “a violation of team rules.”

Butler is also listed as living in the same terrace-level room. King lives in another terrace-level residence in Celani, according to the school directory.

Clarkston junior Megan Shire, who lives next door to White and Sawicki in Celani, said police were present in the room “a couple of days ago.”

Shire said she had no knowledge about the arrests but said she walked past the room last week and saw several officers searching for something and talking with two residents. She said she does not know the players particularly well but talked to them occasionally and had been in the room several times.

Shire said the players’ room was fairly rowdy and often played loud music.

“They’re kind of loud,” she said. “You hear the screaming, just having fun. Sometimes when I’m trying to sleep, I can hear the music.”

Shire and her roommate, St. Clair Shores junior Anna Swando, said their neighbors had an unusual number of fish tanks.

“They had a whole bunch of fish tanks,” Shire said, estimating they might have had more than six.

“At least four,” Swando said.

Fish tanks are a potential piece of equipment used in the cultivation of hallucinogenic mushrooms, according to multiple online sources.

Resident Assistant Renee Jeffrey declined comment, and Celani Hall Resident Hall Director Steely Pegg could not be reached for comment.

Several residents of Celani terrace also declined comment, but a female resident living in the dorm who asked to remain anonymous said the room could have been a source of trouble.

She said the room was always busy with football players and other students going in and out often.

“I mean, they’re going in and out a lot, but it’s not anything (new),” she said. “I mean, half these people (on the floor) are football players anyway.”

UPDATE: White turned himself in Wednesday afternoon