Gymnastics aims to upset No. 1 Michigan

No. 20 gymnastics has a specific mindset this weekend when competing against some top-ranked teams — upsets happen.

Last Friday, CMU was on the losing end of an upset after being defeated by Ball State, but, Saturday, the team hopes the roles are reversed as it faces Michigan, the No. 1 team in the nation.

The Chippewas will travel to Minneapolis for the quad meet against the Wolverines, host No. 12 Minnesota and Iowa State, and head coach Jerry Reighard said the team is not over analyzing or stressing about what the teams are ranked.

"Honestly, Ball State wasn't supposed to beat CMU as far as rankings go," Reighard said. "Our approach is we're going in there to hit a 196, and, if others times can't handle that or other teams pass it, we really can't control that."

Despite the loss to the Cardinals last weekend, the Chippewas did set some high scores at the meet, and the team looks to take that energy into the quad meet.

At Ball State, CMU established new season highs in three events, including registering a 49.075 in the balance beam.

Sophomores Taylor Noonan and Kylie Fagan received outstanding scores, with Noonan winning the balance beam with a career-high 9.925. For the second-straight week, Fagan claimed the top spot on the uneven bars.

The Chippewas line-up will look a little different at Minneapolis, with some gymnasts reducing events or not competing at all.

Freshman Megan Lamphere recently severely injured her knee and will not be competing or traveling, Reighard said, which leaves her spot open for freshmen who have never competed.

Previously competing all-around, junior Brittany Petzold and sophomore Halle Moraw will be limited this weekend and possibly more of the first half of the season. Petzold will compete in just one event on Saturday, while Moraw will participate in two.

"(There will be) a little bit of conservativeness on my part because it's the right thing to do," Reighard said.

CMU has faced all three of its upcoming opponents in previous years, having a 1-0 record versus Minnesota, going 1-3 against Iowa State, and claiming six of 34 meets against Michigan.

With three-straight wins to start the 2013 season, Michigan was on the fast track to the No. 1 spot. Last weekend, the Wolverines put up the nation’s second highest score so far this year, with a score of 197.350 against Illinois.

Saturday's dual meet will begin at 7 p.m.