Staff Predictions: Week 3 at UNLV

Aaron McMann senior reporter (2-0): This is a game CMU can win and should win. UNLV comes in reeling, losing both of its first two games in blowout fashion and its coach, Bobby Hauck, feeling the pressure.

Quarterback Nick Sherry, who is embroiled in a battle himself with backup Caleb Herring, is a mess right now and vulnerable. Cooper Rush will likely come out slow; it's his first game starting on the road, but settle in and open up the run-game. Look for the secondary to come up with an interception or two – the Rebels give out picks like presents on Christmas morning.

Central Michigan 34, UNLV 31
Jeff Papworth staff reporter (2-0): There are games when a team of lesser talent prevails because the more talented team’s weakness is something the underdog can shine a bright light on.
This happens to be the case for the matchup between Central Michigan and UNLV as the Chippewas rank 20th in takeaways with five, and UNLV has given away more turnovers than all but 11 FBS teams with five.
Furthermore, CMU could have forced even more turnovers since it has only recovered one of five of the opposition’s fumbles this season, so it will pull off a close win on Saturday in Las Vegas.
Central Michigan 27, UNLV 21
Seth Newman staff reporter (2-0): Central Michigan has a young football team at key positions.

A redshirt freshmen at quarterback and kicker, a sophomore running back and two key wide receivers, with such a young team it’s hard to go into a hostile environment.

It’s hard enough to go into a hostile environment with seniors.

The young offense will be the difference in the game. A turnover or two will be key as well as not everyone being on the same page. Last week, CMU kicked a field goal to win the game as time expired. This week, I expect the same thing to happen. Only for UNLV.

UNLV 38, CMU 37

Kristopher Lodes sports editor (2-0): CMU took another blow when it lost Jake Olson for the season, again, with season-ending wrist surgery. Zurlon Tipton is gone as well and starting quarterback Cody Kater is out 3-5 more weeks.

The Chippewas might have found its leader through this injury-proned season in new starting quarterback Cooper Rush. Rush threw for 326 yards and three touchdowns as they completed the comeback against New Hampshire and saved a game they couldn't afford to lose.

A bright spot in the team has been the secondary, recording a Mid-American Conference high four interceptions. With Rebels starting quarterback Nick Sherry being an interception machine, I expect a CMU win.

CMU 31, UNLV 21