Guevara receives contract extension through 2018; Includes $14,500 pay increase

Women’s basketball team had its most successful season in recent memory last year.

Now, athletic director Dave Heeke has locked the program’s coach in for the foreseeable future.

Sue Guevara, who is entering her sixth season at the helm of the Chippewas, has been awarded a contract extension through the 2017-18 season.

Guevara will make a base salary of $194,500 per year, a $14,500 increase, with built-in incentives along the way.

In 2013-14 alone, Guevara will cash in on $20,000 for television, radio and other promotional appearances throughout the season.

“I am excited that Sue Guevara will be our head women's basketball coach well into the future,"  athletic director Dave Heeke said in a statement. "Sue's passion and energy has led us to become a championship-level program and she continues to push her squad to new heights each season. Sue is also a great ambassador for CMU and our entire athletics department in the community."

Guevara coached the Chippewas to a win in the Mid-American Conference Tournament Championship Game over Akron a season ago, giving CMU its first NCAA Tournament berth since 1984.

Central Michigan was then knocked out of the tournament by No. 6 seed Oklahoma.

“This (contract extension) is just icing on the cake,” Guevara said. “For the last three years we have won 20 games or more. You look at the success of the program. I'm not worrying about my job."

Guevara credited the CMU women’s basketball fans and the athletic department as a whole with giving the team the support needed to succeed since she took over in 2007.

“Dave (Heeke) has been so supportive of this program since day one,” she said. “I am very happy to continue to continue my career here. It is just a good fit.”

Guevara has compiled 91 wins over the last five seasons, including three victories over top-25 opponents (No. 20 Texas/2012; No. 12 Purdue/2011; No. 23 Louisville/2010).