Wrestling loses to No. 19 Michigan 30-9

It was a rough afternoon for wrestling after a crushing loss to No. 19 Michigan, 30-9.

CMU is now 5-4 on the season, and remains 1-0 in conference play. Head Coach Tom Borrelli said his team was simply not ready for competition.

“We got a good old-fashioned butt kicking today,” Borrelli said.

The Chippewas lost seven of the ten matches, with the only wins coming at 133, 141 and 174 pounds. Michigan got off to a 6-0 advantage before the meet even began as CMU forfeited at 125-pounds.

The next two matches were taken by the Chippewas.

Senior Joe Roth won by decision 11-4 over No. 17 Rossi Brunno at 133-pounds making the score 6-3. Roth is now 6-2 in dual meets this season.

Sophomore Zach Horan would tie the team score at six after winning by decision at 141-pounds 9-4. With the victory, Horan moves to 13-1 in dual meets this season.

Michigan would win six of the final seven matches, which included pins at 149-pounds and 184-pounds.

Junior Mike Ottinger won by decision at 174-pounds to increase the score 18-9 with three matches remaining, but this would not be enough to put CMU within striking distance.

Borrelli said there hasn't been much consistency this season as a team but individual efforts from Ottinger, Horan, Keener and Roth have been consistent.

“They have been the only four guys that have been consistent for us all year long,” Borrelli said. “Other guys will perform well in some meets and not as well in others.”

Ottinger improved his record to 12-2 in dual meets. Sophomore Lucas Smith lost a close match in extra time at 157-pounds by decision 4-2.

Michigan won four matches by at least six points.

Borrelli said he wants to see his team improve to a level where they prove they can start performing against top-level competition.

“We have to improve and show we can compete with these top teams at a division one level,” Borrelli said.

The Chippewas will look remain undefeated in MAC play when they travel to Northern Illinois on Saturday Dec. 21 at 1 p.m.