City encourages residents to run water to prevent frozen pipes

Freezing pipelines, recycling pick-up contracts and a search for the new city manager were discussed at Monday's Mount Pleasant City Commission meeting.

City commissioners encouraged Mount Pleasant residents to continue running a "toothpick-sized" stream of water out of one of their faucets until further notice in order to prevent frozen water pipes.

"We need you to do it until we tell you otherwise," said Nancy Ridley, interim city manager.

Public Works Director John Zang explained that pipelines built beneath roads are most at risk of freezing. As vehicles drive over the pavement and crews plow following snowstorms, the frostline beneath the surface is pushed deeper, putting pipelines at risk.

"If you leave just a little bit of water running, that'll help immensely," Zang said.

Garbage and recycling will continued to be collected in Mount Pleasant. City commissioners approved two contracts for recycling and municipal refuse pickup Monday.

The commission extended its recycling pickup contract with Mid Michigan Industries for one year at a monthly cost of $4,314. It also awarded a new contract to Republic Services - Allied Waste Systems, Inc. for garbage pickup at $15,354 per month.

The commission will meet on March 10 at Mount Pleasant City Hall, 320 W. Broadway St.