Chelsea DeLamielleure hits two home runs in softball sweep of IPFW

a9-softball-delamier

CMU softball won their third-straight at home, putting up two shutouts at Margo Jonker Stadium in the last week.

The Chippewas hosted IPFW on Wednesday, sweeping them in two games.

Starting off in the bottom of the first inning, junior Trista Cox hit a double to the left corner, sending sophomore Chelsea DeLamielleure home to take the lead.

DeLamielleure was the only Chippewa to cross home plate during the first game.

After a tough seven innings for the Mastodons, junior Dani Pugh of IPFW hit a single. Senior Ashleigh Bousquet and sophomore Hillary Kartman followed behind Pugh, filling up the bases for a potential scoring chance.

With the bases loaded and no outs, head coach Margo Jonker called a timeout to calm the players. At the end of the inning, freshman pitcher Rachael Knapp retook control, striking out three Mastodon players in a row.

In her first game as a Chippewa, Knapp experienced her first "bases loaded" situation.

"She picked up the speed of the pitch and movement in that last inning after the bases got loaded, and that was good to see," Jonker said. "It was good to know that a freshman could get out of it."

Same story, different game

Leading off into the second game, senior Brittney Horan hit a double. Senior Cory DeLamielleure doubled soon after, bringing in two RBIs including Horan.

The Mastodons struck back in the first to tie the game. The Chippewas fired again in the second when Chelsea DeLamielleure shot a home run to dead center for three RBI.

"I have been seeing the ball really well when I go up to plate. I just tell myself, make it as simple as possible," Chelsea said. "See the ball, hit the ball. That's all I do."

Following into the fourth inning, IPFW scored again, pushing the score to 4-2 with the Chippewas still in the lead. In the bottom of the fifth, Chelsea belted one over the wall, hitting her second home run.

Chelsea has hit for a total of seven home runs this year, already making a significant contribution after recovering from an injury suffered last season.

"Last year, (the team) did really well," Chelsea said. "I am just trying to do my job on the field and at the plate and it's awesome to be back."

Following Chelsea's home run, sophomore Evelyn Lorimer hit a triple, sending senior Lauren Bowman home to score the final run of the game.

CMU played well defensively in the first game.

"We had great pitching and my sister (Cory) called a good game from behind the plate," Chelsea said. "Good plays and overall good defense."

During the second game, the softball team took control and made more hits and runs than the first, bringing an outstanding finish against a good team outside of the Mid-American Conference.

"(We) got a lot of hits the second game. The first, not so much," Jonker said. "We didn't hit the ball very well. It's a matter of perseverance to get two wins, so I am happy to see that"