Chippewa Dance Team earns sixth place finish at Collegiate Nationals

61283e8ed58e2d527c17b1820abd9530

The Central Michigan Dance Team performs on the field during halftime of football games at Kelly/Shorts Stadium and on the court during breaks at both men’s and women’s basketball games in McGuirk Arena.

Last weekend they competed at the National Dance Alliance Collegiate Nationals in Daytona Beach, Fla. The Chippewas were one of 18 teams that competed in the event.

The Dance Team finished with a sixth-place finish out of ten teams and a final sub total mark of 9.496 in the Dance Open 1 Division.

Rigorously preparing its routine since October, the 19 CMU dancers entered the contest with confidence.  For this particular competition they performed their routine to 'Clarity' by Savannah Outen.

Coached by Amy Bunting, the team credits its hard work ethic and practice routine for the ability to be able to compete amongst the best in the country. Bunting is in her 10th year in Mount Pleasant coaching the Chippewas and after having her team compete in the Universal Dance Association Nationals for the previous three years.

Some of the schools competing against the Chippewas down south included Brigham Young, Louisville, West Virginia, Purdue, Missouri, UNC Chapel Hill and Texas Tech.

After finishing near the middle of the pack, Bunting and her squad will look ahead with another year of experience under its belt with hope to place even higher and show the nation their very best once again in the Collegiate Nationals at this time next year.