City approves construction of Popeyes on Mission Street, lounge on University Street

unknown-2

Construction will begin on another Mission Street fast food chain this summer.

Popeyes Louisiana Chicken was approved for development at 807 S. Mission St. on Thursday, by the Mount Pleasant Planning Commission following a long debate about signage.

Commissioners largely agreed with the planned brick exterior and fencing, but a question about safety arose over a large, monument-style sign Popeyes planned to have built on the corner of Mission and High streets. Anything built too close to the road could affect visibility at the busy intersection.

Commissioners approved construction with the condition that the developer, D&D Real Estate Investments, LLC, would work with the city in finding a solution.

Site plans for the project call for a patio to be built on the site’s northwest corner, which will be used for outdoor seating and as an entryway for pedestrians.

Commissioners also approved a downtown tapas lounge to be built at 120 S. University Ave. near Dog Central.

Commissioners unanimously approved the still-unnamed lounge proposed by Commissioner Keith Cotter, who abstained from voting and answered questions about the project from his fellow commissioners.

Before construction can begin on the art-deco style lounge, it will need to receive approval from the city commission for its on-premise liquor license.

Cotter’s project must meet several requirements to gain approval, including a 10-item or more menu and a minimum seating capacity of 25 people.

Lents supported the project, saying it will enhance downtown and, since the lounge will only remain open in the evening, will not interfere with parking for downtown workers.