Cooper can carry the Chippewas

cooper

Sophomore quarterback Cooper Rush probably isn’t the next Dan LeFevour.

But we won’t know unless head coach Dan Enos gives him another shot to show us what he’s got. Rush needs to be the guy under center come fall.

Some argue senior Cody Kater should be the guy, but Kater is even less experienced than Rush, who entered the 2013 season third.

Just look at the numbers without the names attached.

Quarterback A has completed four of his 10 career passes for a total of 25 yards.

Quarterback B has completed 177 passes for 2,349 yards.

I don’t know about you, but I’m taking Quarterback B. And that’s Cooper Rush.

I understand the argument about statistics from Saturday’s spring game. It’s safe to say Kater had a better outing, going 16-for-23 with 257 passing yards compared to Rush’s 16-for-23 mark with 232 passing yards. Rush even admitted himself that Kater “made more plays.”

Yes, Kater’s been on the team longer, he won the job last year before getting injured in the season-opening embarrassment against Michigan and can argue seniority.

I just think it’s too late for Kater.

Last season was rough, considering all three Chippewa quarterbacks had essentially zero college football experience entering the season. Why should we put ourselves through that uncertainty again by handing the inexperienced Kater the reins?

Rush helped the Chippewas become bowl-eligible by winning five of the team’s last seven games, including a rivalry-game in Kalamazoo against Western Michigan and a last-minute upset victory on the road at Ohio.

He also won the hearts of many Chippewa faithful in his first collegiate game by saving the team from embarrassment, engineering a come-from-behind victory at Kelly/Shorts Stadium against New Hampshire. This was after replacing the struggling Alex Niznak in the second half.

Another plus for Rush is that he has already developed chemistry with senior superstar wide receiver Titus Davis, who figures to be a large part of CMU’s offense again in 2014.

The best two quarterbacks in Chippewa history, Dan LeFevour and Ryan Radcliff, had one thing in common: They started in at least three of their four seasons. If Rush is going to be considered with the likes of these two, he needs the experience now.

Rush has more experience. Rush has the grit to win games he shouldn’t. Rush is the future of CMU football.

Chippewa fans can only hope that they’ll see number 10 on the field by the time Chattanooga rolls into Kelly/Shorts Stadium on August 28.