Losing streak follows Field Hockey into match against Ball State

Mid-American Conference play starts for the Central Michigan University field hockey team (1-8) when it takes on BSU (3-4) on Saturday.

Field Hockey's matchup with BSU will serve as a fresh start for the Chippewas, after losing four consecutive games.

The women have faced Duke, Michigan and Maine during the recent losing streak. Coach Cristy Freese said she sees conference play as “a new season” for her team.

After a winless road trip in California, the team will rely on its offense, which showed signs of improvement late in the loss to UC Davis last week.

Senior Kaysie Gregory is tied to lead the CMU in points, and said her team had “a whole new intensity” against UC Davis.

In practice this week, coach Freese said her team will pose a greater challenge to opponents than in recent weeks.

“Teams are scoring on our mistakes,” she said. “We can’t make it that easy on them.”

CMU has been outscored 38 to 7, and outshot 166 to 58, on the season.

The Chippewas handled Ball State well in the past, winning the last three matches between the two teams dating back to 2011.

Though Ball State enters the hosting of the Chippewas on a losing streak, the Cardinals have scored three goals their past four games.

Freese said her group is excited to start what she is calling the "second season," reestablishing a winning culture during MAC play.

“We’re zero and zero in the conference," she said. "That’s how I see it.” 

CMU was 3-2 in the MAC in 2013.

Gametime in Muncie, Ind. is set for 1 p.m.