Women's basketball coach awarded five-year $234,000 contract

mb_wbbal227_5
Coach Sue Guevara shouts commands to her team in the fourth quarter on Feb 27 in McGuirk Arena.

Sue Guevara was given a $234,000 five-year contract through the 2019-2020 season. The eighth-year women's basketball coach will receive a base salary of $204,000 per year and another $30,000 for television, radio and other promotional appearances.

In her time in Mount Pleasant, Guevara has posted a 131-123 record in eight seasons as head coach of the Chippewas.

Guevara's previous contract had a base salary of $194,500 and an additional $20,000 for promotional appearances per year following an extension in October 2013.

“Longevity is really important to a coach,” Guevara said. “The support from the administration is so beneficial.”

The contract comes following a season in which the Chippewas finished 13-18 overall, after injuries derailed a promising season.

“When you have a year like we had where the expectations were so high and adversity hits, it’s nice to know that your administration understands the ups and downs that go with teams,” Guevara said. “The support gives you a peace of mind that they’re with you through thick and thin.”

The CMU women’s basketball following has helped give Guevara support, too.

“That goes with all of our fans, and everything,” she said. “We’ve had some fans that have been there through the good, the bad and the ugly. They’ve stayed on the ship, and that’s key.”

Athletics Director Dave Heeke said Guevara’s drive to get better each season is what justifies her pay increase.

"I am pleased to again illustrate our strong commitment to Sue Guevara and our women's basketball program," Heeke said in a statement. "Coach Guevara consistently displays outstanding energy and passion for Central Michigan University, its student-athletes and the entire campus community."

Guevara, was quick to credit her coaching staff as a crucial piece to her success at CMU.

“My staff can’t get lost in all of this because they do a tremendous job,” she said. “It’s good for them, too. It means that we’ve got roots in the ground here. It adds stability to the whole program.”

The deal helps Guevara’s recruiting efforts as well, she said.

“Kids want to know how long you’re going to be there,” Guevara said. “If you only have two years left on your contract, then the kids will want to know if you’ll be safe after that.”

The Saginaw-native guided CMU to four consecutive 20-plus win seasons from 2010-2014, and in 2013, brought home the Chippewas first Mid-American Conference Tournament Championship since 1984.

“I’m appreciative and grateful,” she said. “I know I’m probably one of the most blessed coaches in America, and in all of the MAC.”