Women make it to Cleveland, knocked out of tournament in second round

main_wbbemu
Senior forward Jas'Mine Bracey puts a hand up to block Eastern Michigan forward Phillis Webb's shot Saturday at McGuirk Arena. Bracey grabbed 18 rebounds for the Chippewas in the loss to the Eagles, 93-86

The Central Michigan University women’s basketball team’s season came to an end March 11, as the No. 9 seed Chippewas were bounced out of the Mid-American Conference Tournament in the second round by No. 5 seed Western Michigan University, 81-68.

The Chippewas struggled to score and the Broncos took advantage. CMU fell behind by 15 points late in the first half, and never recovered.

Senior guard Kerby Tamm finished her last game in the maroon and gold with 20 points, and shot 50 percent from long range.

Aside from Tamm, CMU shot 1-for-13 from the 3-point line.

Junior guard Da’Jourie Turner scored 15 points, and senior guard Lorreal Jones added 14 points to go along with her 12 rebounds.

WMU answered each of the Chippewas' comeback attempts and put the game away with an 8-2 run to extend its lead to 67-53 with six minutes left to play, closing the door on any chance of a CMU comeback.

The Chippewas began the season as preseason favorites to win the conference, but injuries derailed CMU’s vow for a MAC title. CMU finished the year 13-18 overall and 7-11 in conference play.

Head Coach Sue Guevara said this was one of the toughest seasons she has been through in her career as the Chippewas’ leader.

“It was very challenging,” Guevara said. “It was one of those seasons where you have to look at all of the silver linings.”

A glimmer of hope

CMU stumbled into the tournament on a four-game losing streak and was 2-8 in its last 10 regular season games.

The Chippewas found themselves having to battle No. 8 seed Northern Illinois University just to make it to Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland.

Only the top four seeds automatically advance to Cleveland. The first round of the MAC tournament is played on the higher seeds’ home floors.

The Chippewas split their matchup with the Huskies and went into the contest without three starters, including second-team All-MAC performer senior guard Crystal Bradford, who was out for the remainder of the season with a knee injury.

With its back against the wall, CMU went into DeKalb, Ill. and defeated NIU in a defensive battle 49-44.

The Chippewas were led by Turner and senior forward Jas’Mine Bracey, who each led the way with 14 points. Jones’ key rebound with 8.7 seconds left sealed the win for CMU and punched its ticket to Cleveland.

“I had to be more flexible in what we could do offensively and defensively in what we could do,” Guevara said. “We had to do some other things. In that respect, it was a good thing because we adjusted to what we had, and I think it made us better. Maybe our record doesn’t show that, but I think it did.”