Bradford becomes first player in program history drafted to WNBA

Crystal Bradford knew she was going to Los Angeles when she got into her car Thursday night.

Although the Los Angeles Sparks hadn’t selected her just yet, she was hoping she was bound for Hollywood.

“When they actually said the No. 7 pick, I was like ‘please L.A. take me, I don’t want to go any farther, please, please, please,” Bradford said. “All I heard was just the beginning announcement of my name, and I hit a full lap in the hotel. I ran, I screamed, I shouted, I cried and my family was there. It was great, it was awesome.”

After years of games, practices and hard work, Crystal Bradford’s lifelong dream finally came true on Thursday night.

“I’m in the league,” she said . “I just got drafted to the WNBA, something I’ve dreamed of my whole entire life. I’m proud everybody gets to celebrate tonight.”

Bradford is the first player in program history drafted to the WNBA.

“It means everything,” Bradford said. “I’m just not satisfied, I’m not done, and I’m just getting started. I’m ready to put on an L.A. Jersey.”

Bradford is open to doing whatever the Sparks ask her to.

“What the coach needs from me, I’ll give,” she said. “I’m ready to become a professional now. I’m ready to be a sponge and soak up everything that I have to learn.

CMU Head Coach Sue Guevara said Bradford's selection is the culmination of years of hard work.

“I’m just really excited for her, for the work that she has put in,” Guevara said. “It takes a special kind of player. "I know CB is all about showtime, and it's showtime in L.A."

Guevara said CB 23’s moment will be shared by the school’s women’s basketball family.

“I’m happy for her teammates who have helped her to get to where she is right now,” she said. “I’m happy for our staff that has gotten her in the gym, and has worked her out. I’m happy for her family, I’m happy for our university. I’m happy for our program.”

Bradford finished her career as a Chippewa with the most points, rebounds, field goals and blocks in program history. She is the only player in CMU history to score more than 2,000 points and grab 1,000 rebounds.

The WNBA season starts June 5, and Bradford will report to training camp on May 16. Although Bradford was a first-round pick, she still has to make the Sparks’ roster.

“Getting up and down (the court) is going to be key for her,” Guevara said. “She’s got a month to get herself in shape because when she plays with better players, she’s really good.”

Bradford said as long as she is healthy, she expects to have a long and successful career at the next level.

“Health is always No. 1,” Bradford said. “As long as I’m healthy, I’ll perform.”