Softball upsets No. 1 seed in MAC Tournament

main_softball2

Freshman outfielder Macy Tolfree runs to first base March 28 at Margo Jonker Stadium.

Two down, two to go for Central Michigan University softball.

Sophomore Rachael Knapp threw her second complete-game shutout of the 2015 Mid-American Conference Tournament as No. 4 CMU defeated the No.1 seed Kent State University Golden Flashes 1-0 on Thursday afternoon.

"Holy cow, it's huge," Knapp said. "They're a great team, they're ranked number one. Great team, great pitcher."

Kent State threatened in the bottom of the seventh and final inning, putting runners on first and third with nobody out. Knapp and the Chippewas escaped with back-to-back strikeouts and a fly out to finish off the Golden Flashes.

In a performance that was reminiscent of the one she turned in Wednesday against No. 5 seed and rival Western Michigan University, CMU upset a 40-win KSU team.

“Kent State is a great team," said Head Coach Margo Jonker. "For us to beat them here in the MAC Tournament is an awesome feat."

In her seven dominating innings in the circle, Knapp struck out nine Bronco hitters while giving up four hits and walking one.

“Rachael was amazing. It was a classic performance by her,” Jonker said. “Great movement, great location and great poise–especially in the last inning with runners on and nobody out.”

MAC Pitcher of the Year Emma Johnson pitched a complete game for KSU, allowing just three hits and one run while striking out 15 batters.

The lone run scored by the Chippewas came in the second inning with an RBI double over the left fielder’s head by freshman catcher Maison Kalina, scoring freshman center fielder Sara Hansen after she reached base with a one-out single.

“Everybody really wants it–our team is focused right now and they’re into it,” Jonker said.

With the win, CMU advances to the final round of the winner’s bracket of the MAC Tournament where they will play the winner of today's No. 2 Ball State vs. No. 3 Miami University game tomorrow at 3:30 p.m.

A win tomorrow would propel CMU to the MAC Championship, where it would have to win one of two games against the loser's bracket champion to claim the title. A loss tomorrow would send CMU to the loser's bracket final.