Phi Sigma Sigma raises $14,000 for school and college readiness

2015_1004_golfouting_mb_007
Monica Bradburn | Assistant Photo Editor

Phi Sigma Sigma’s annual philanthropy golf outing raised $14,000 to donate toward school and college readiness at the Pohlcat Golf Course on Sunday.

The course consisted of 18 holes of golf and was followed by a catered, buffet-style luncheon. The luncheon featured a gift basket raffle and additional prizes also were given out.

"It's a really great event that brings everyone together. It brings our alumni back and a lot of the parents and families come so it's great to see them involved in our philanthropy," said Birmingham senior and Phi Sigma Sigma member Kayli Horwek. "We get to show them a little of what we do while raising money."

Individually, the course was $80 or $280 for a team of four. Greek members received a course discount, lowing the individual cost to $75 or $250 for a team of four.

Despite the slight rain, the course was full of teams. The outing is the chapter’s biggest philanthropy event as far as attendance and revenue brought in, said Huntington Woods senior and Phi Sigma Sigma member Tess Francke.

"I like the commodity and the people. It's also a really nice area," said Ron Ibbetson of South Lyon, who attended the event.The event, which has been occurring consecutively for the past 19 years, changed from a spring event to a fall event this year.

Hosting the event the day after homecoming drew in more people who came to Mount Pleasant for the weekend, said Jason Clark, the general manager of the Pohlcat Golf Course.

"I like the event because, from the golf course standpoint, there's a lot of future customers," Clark said. "There's also a lot of alumni that visit, so it's always nice to see familiar faces."

Plymouth resident Darrin Blue attended the event the past three years to support his Phi Sigma Sigma daughter.

"It's always a fun group of people to play with. It's also a beautiful course and the sorority always puts on a good event," Blue said. "The prizes and food are always really good."