No bad luck for the Central Michigan Hockey against Michigan

23599_2015_1113_hockeyvsum_gc008f

Senior defender Michael Chodzko controls the puck during a game against Michigan Nov. 13, 2015 at the Mount Pleasant Ice Arena. The Chippewas won, 8-2.

The University of Michigan name didn't scare the Central Michigan Club Hockey on Friday the 13th, as CMU took down the Wolverines 8-2 at the Isabella Community Event Center.

Central Michigan improved to 8-5-1 and is currently No. 5 in the North Region in Division III with teams like Michigan, Oakland, and Grand Valley. The Wolverines fall to 2-7-1.

“Our defense really helped us get the win today,” said Head Coach Tyler Cataline. “They played really good and we cycled the puck really well and got a lot of shots. That was one of our biggest struggles this year is the shots on the net and we really capitalized on that today.”

During the first period, the Chippewas dominated on offense with two scores by forwards Austin Cole and Nathan Allgaier. Michigan came back with a goal from Michael Stando as time expired in the first period, making it 2-1.

Coming back from the break, Dalton Sutherland scored once and Kyle Hyde scored twice for CMU. With one minute left in the period, Michigan responded with a goal.

During the third period, CMU dominated, tacking on three more insurance goals from defender Brendan O’Malley, forward Nolan LeClaire and defender James Gleason.

“It means a lot because it shows that people enjoy what we do. We just want to play our hearts out and show that we’re a solid and a national contending team. Having fans that come out and support us means a lot.”

Sophomore Travis Gilmer

The Central Michigan Division III Club Hockey team started three years ago by Travis Gosselin, the Head of Hockey Operations, for students to come out and play hockey beyond their high school careers. It started with two teams, Division II and III teams, and this year, they decided to combine the two teams into one.

“This is my second year here and we’ve just been building our program and getting better. We’ve been getting more players every year,” Cataline said. “Our program is really good because of the hard work that is put into it by our players who are here every day and our managers.”

Students find this program a perfect extension for their hockey careers behind high school. Sophomore Travis Gilmer started playing his freshman year.

Club hockey players celebrate after a goal during the first period against Michigan on Nov. 13, 2015 at the Mount Pleasant Ice Arena. The Chippewas won, 8-2. (Greg Cornwell | Staff photographer)

“I came out of high school and wanted to keep playing hockey and I didn’t really know much going into it last year,” Gilmer said. “I love the camaraderie of my teammates and the kind of friendships we make on the team, they last a lifetime.”

A big aspect to the team’s success is the fan support. The team is always encouraging students and parents to come out and support the team whenever they can.

“It means a lot because it shows that people enjoy what we do,” Gilmer said. “We just want to play our hearts out and show that we’re a solid and a national contending team. Having fans that come out and support us means a lot.”

The next home game for the Chippewas is Nov. 21 against Oakland University at 7:30 at the Isabella Community Event Center.