Rush breaks single-season passing record during win over Eastern Michigan

There is now a numerical value attached to the impressive season junior quarterback Cooper Rush has put together this fall. 

During the Central Michigan football team's 35-28 win over Eastern Michigan on Friday, Rush broke the record for most passing yards in a single season. The record was previously held by Chippewa great Dan LeFevour, who threw for 3,652 yards in 2007. 

Rush's 391 yards through the air in the Chippewas' 2015 regular season finale brings his total to 3,703 this year. 

"It's great company to be in," Rush said. "(LeFevour is) one of the greatest college football players ever. It was just a bunch of guys out there making plays. To see a record get broken as a result of that is a pretty cool team thing and for myself." 

Rush has thrown 25 touchdowns this season. He needs four more in CMU's bowl game to break the single-season mark in that category, a record also held by LeFevour. 

"The way all (CMU's wide receivers) worked in the offseason, they got on the same page with me," Rush said. "They are some great athletes in the open field. They can catch a pass at five yards and get 15. That's how you get a lot of yards." 

Head Coach John Bonamego, who spent 16 years as an assistant coach in the NFL, said Rush is showing signs of a professional passer.  

"He's got a great cast around him," Bonamego said. "He's had a fantastic year. We are very proud of him. The sky is the limit for him. He'll continue to develop and improve. You have to play to your strengths and we've been able to do that with Cooper." 

About Dominick Mastrangelo

Dominick Mastrangelo is the Editor in Chief of Central Michigan Life. Contact him at: editor@cm-life.com 

...

View Posts by Dominick Mastrangelo →