Editorial: Voting crucial in times of crisis

2016_0122_snyderprotest_mb028
Detroit senior Bryce Huffman participates in a protest in support of Flint at the Fabiano Botanical Gardens on Jan. 22. Monica Bradburn | Assistant Photo Editor

Late last week, a small group of students gathered on campus to call for Gov. Rick Snyder's resignation.

These students, some of whom are from Flint, say Snyder is responsible for the poisoning of their hometown’s water supply during a 17-month period.

The Flint water crisis has gained national attention. It is another reminder of how government can fail us. Now, we need to show we care enough about each other to protect ourselves from democratic failure.

We must vote.

Our hearts go out to our classmates who cannot drink clean water when they visit their hometown. We urge our campus community to provide support to those affected by the Flint water crisis.

Snyder was elected by the people of this state and his administration has failed us. It brings to mind the importance of adequate representation in government and the importance of voting.

More importantly, we encourage students on this campus to be aware of the power of local government and actively participate in the governing process.

Many of us are quick to post on social media sites and share our opinions on political and social issues. Sadly, most statistics show your Facebook friends don’t make it to voting booths on Election Day.

According to a survey conducted by “45 for the 45th,” a website devoted to engaging young voters, almost one-half of all 16 to 24-year olds said they had no interest in politics at all.

The same survey found only 39 percent of people age 18 to 24 agreed or strongly agreed they would seriously be neglecting their duty as a citizen if they didn’t vote.

Those figures are unacceptable.

A generation as plugged-in as ours has no excuse to not participate in democracy. We know what the issues are; we just need to take the next step.

We must be unified in our push for an active democratic system.

We can only achieve tangible success on the political front when everyone participates. Disagreeing is OK. It is our First Amendment right. It helps the marketplace of ideas flourish.

We very good at sparking debate, but we must take the next step and act on our ideas.

We young voters are the biggest voting demographic. According to The Center for Information & Research on Civic Learning and Engagement, 19.9 percent of 18- to 29-years old cast ballots in the 2014 elections.

If we show up, we have the power to swing the vote and create substantial change in government. Activism won’t change anything if we don’t vote.

A democracy does not work without sustained involvement from people. All people.

Instead, many young people have a disillusioned view of government due to its failings and so they don’t feel compelled to vote.

This is a presidential election year.

This means it is another chance for young people across this country to make their voices heard on hot-button issues such as the cost of higher education and the importance of a thriving job market.

The Flint water crisis is a prime example of how government cannot be trusted to make decisions in the best interests of the people when it is not held accountable by voters.

When no forward-thinking and informed people vote, outdated political philosophies are allowed to dominate and an echo chamber of ideology is created.

When high-ranking governmental officials are allowed to make decisions based on budgets instead of what is best for its people, and not humanity, everyone is put at risk.

And today, the people of Flint know better than anyone else just how dangerous that risk can be.