Gymnastics takes first in UW-Eau Claire quad meet

gymnastics_13_035
The CMU gymnastics team cheers on a teammate competing on the uneven bars on Jan. 3, 2015 at the opening meet against Temple University. The Chippewas beat Temple 193.425 to 188.900.

Following last week’s season opening win against Temple, the Central Michigan gymnastics team led the way again Friday at the UW-Eau Claire Invitational with a total score of 193.6.

Wisconsin-Whitewater finished second with 186.7 followed by Eau Claire with 184.375 and Winona State with 183.525. 

Central Michigan showed improvements on the balance beam, sweeping the top four spots in the event and scoring a 48.75 — a 1.575-point jump from last weekend against Temple. Sophomore Katy Clements won the event with a 9.8.

“For the beam team, last week was their first competition and I think that really showed,” said Head Coach Jerry Reighard. “We made a few changes in the order the team went up, and tonight was a completely different group.”

Freshman Kasey Janowicz also picked up her second all-around victory of the season with an overall score of 38.625.

The Chippewas scored a 193.425 a week ago in the season opener.

Senior Kiki Petzold did not compete again. Reighard said her undisclosed injury is considered career ending. 

“She got hurt in warm-ups last weekend in the first meet,” Reighard said.  “We’re going to miss Kiki, there’s no question about that.”

The Chippewas will take on BYU next Friday in McGuirk Arena at 7 p.m. The meet will be broadcast on ESPN 3.