Former CMU defensive coordinator lands Big 10 position

logo

Penn State announced Sunday the hiring of former Central Michigan defensive coordinator and CMU alumnus Tim Banks as a co-defensive coordinator and safeties coach for the Nittany Lions. 

Banks spent his last four years as the co-defensive coordinator and the secondary coach at Illinois. 

Banks was the defensive coordinator at CMU from 2007 to 2009. During his time with the Chippewas, his defense in 2009 led the Mid-American Conference in total scoring defense with 18.9 points per game, was second in rushing defense with 122.8 yards per game and fourth in total defense. His defense also led in rushing defense in both 2007 and 2008. That same ’08 squad led the conference in sacks with 35.

Banks also led some of the Chippewas that are currently in the NFL, including San Francisco 49ers linebacker Nick Bellore, Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Frank Zombo and free agent cornerback Josh Gordy. He also helped some of CMU’s best defensive players earn First Team All-MAC honors, including Zombo, Bellore, linebacker Ike Brown and linebacker Red Keith.

In addition to coaching experience at CMU, he was also a cornerback for the Chippewas. He led the team in tackles in 1993 with 105 and was eventually named co-captain during the 1994 season, in which the Chippewas won the MAC Championship.