Men's basketball moves on to CIT following MAC Tournament exit

The Central Michigan men's basketball team's seniors have at least one more chance to suit up for the maroon and gold.

On Friday, CMU accepted an invitation to play in the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament (CIT). The Chippewas will host a first-round game at 7 p.m. on Wednesday against Tennessee Martin. Tickets are $20 for lower-bowl general admission and $15 for upper-bowl general admission. Students get into the game for free with a student ID.

Tickets will go on sale at 8 a.m. on Monday. Parking is $10 and season-parking passes will still be honored, according to cmuchippewas.com.

The CIT features 32 teams in a five-round schedule, with the finals on March 29. All games will be played on campus sites.

Host teams in the CIT must pay tournament organizers at least $30,000 to cover the costs of visiting team travel and television and streaming expenses, according to The Star Press, Muncie, Indiana.

The first CIT was played in 2009. The CIT Selection Committee includes 23 members, including former Kent State All-American and San Diego Chargers tight end Antonio Gates. 

UT Martin (19-14, 10-6 Ohio Valley Conference) clinched a share of the OVC West Division. The Skyhawks are led by senior forward Twymond Howard, who leads the team with 15.5 points and 6.9 rebounds per game. Four Skyhawks average 11 or more points per game.

The Chippewas have never played UT Martin.

CMU compiled a 17-15 (10-8 Mid-American Conference) record this season and clinched at least a share of the MAC West Division title for a second consecutive season. 

The Chippewas earned the fourth seed in the MAC Tournament and fell to No. 12 Bowling Green 62-59 Thursday at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland to bow out of the MAC Tournament Quarterfinal.

The Falcons shot 70 percent from the field in the second half. BGSU freshman guard Antwon Lillard knocked down the game-winning 3-pointer with 13 seconds left to end the Chippewas' MAC Tournament title hopes.

Head Coach Keno Davis said after the game Thursday that his team would call postseason tournaments to see what his team's standing is. 

"Most teams will finish with a loss, but to be able to continue to play basketball is something that a lot of teams don't have that opportunity to do right now," Davis said.

Senior guard Chris Fowler scored a team-high 16 points against Bowling Green.

"We feel terrible," Fowler said after Thursday's loss.

Senior forward John Simons tied a career high with 16 rebounds on Thursday to go along with eight points.

"I think it's not going to sink in for awhile after something like this," Simons said. "But I think when we look back at it, we'll be able to look back at all the great friends that we were able to make between our teammates. I know that especially us seniors will be close for the rest of our lives."

Fowler, Simons and fellow senior guards Rayshawn Simmons and Austin Stewart will play at least one more game at McGuirk Arena this Wednesday night. The CIT is reseeded after each round.

Wednesday's game will be the first non-MAC Tournament postseason home game in CMU history since joining Division I.

After No. 1 CMU lost to No. 2 Buffalo in the 2014-15 MAC Tournament Championship, it accepted an invite to play in the National Invitation Tournament (NIT). CMU fell on the road to Louisiana Tech 89-79 in the opening round.

"I think when you look at (our senior) group, not only have they had a great experience, not only have they helped our program, but it's not going to be surprising that these guys are going to have opportunities past CMU," Davis said.

The Chippewas are 61-65 (29-41 in the MAC) since Davis took over the program before the 2012-13 season. The current senior class is Davis' first recruiting class at CMU.

"They're going to have great careers in whatever they go in, but I think there's also some basketball to be played for these guys," Davis said. "I know the opportunity to put the uniform on for as long as they can is something that they would look forward to do."

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →