DIII hockey wins second game of ACHA Tournament 2-1 over Farmingdale

2015_1113_hockeyvsum_gc015_copy
Sophomore forward Nickolas Wink handles the puck during the Chippewas' game against Michigan at Isabella County Events Arena on Nov. 13. CMU defeated Michigan 8-2. Greg Cornwell | Staff Photographer

After its upset win over top-seeded Florida Gulf Coast on Wednesday, the Central Michigan Division III hockey team picked up another victory in the American Collegiate Hockey Association Tournament as the Chippewas defeated Farmingdale State 2-1.

The scoring started early for CMU as forward Nate Gurzell scored the first goal of the game just over one minute into the first period. Assists were given by junior forward Ryan Tyrer and senior defenseman Richard Cortopassi. The score remained 1-0 after the first.

Farmingdale State opened up the scoring in the second period with a goal at 1:41 in the second. The goal came on a power play after a CMU penalty gave Farmingdale State the 5-on-4 man advantage.

CMU broke the tie halfway through the third period with a goal from junior forward Zach Carr. He had assists from senior forward Aaron Grady and junior forward Kyle Hyde.

CMU senior goalie Tyler Everlove built off his Tuesday performance, tallying 33 saves out of 34 possibilities, giving up just the one goal. He’s made 75 saves through two games in the tournament and has a save percentage of .974.

The Chippewas will be back in action tomorrow morning at 10:15 a.m. as they will take on the final remaining team in group of pool-play, Aurora University. Aurora lost to Farmingdale State 6-0 in its first game of the tournament