Masterson chosen to lead College of Health Professions

Thomas Masterson has been appointed dean of the Herbert H. and Grace A. Dow College of Health Professions.

He will take the position on March 21 and earn an annual salary of $207,000.

"Tom has earned the right to be dean here," said Renee Castellon, communications and marketing coordinator for the College of Health Professions. "He definitely knows and understands the college. We think he has some great ideas that will help us move forward. It's a wonderful opportunity for him to show what he's got."

Masterson previously served as the interim dean of the college, replacing former dean Christopher Ingersoll, who left Central Michigan University to serve as the dean of the College of Health Sciences at the University of Toledo.

Linda Perkowski, senior associate dean for faculty and administration for the College of Medicine, headed the search committee, which sent the finalist recommendation to Provost Michael Gealt.

The university was looking for someone who was able to "manage large budgets," Gealt said, and could easily work alongside other administrators in a friendly way.

The committee Perkowski headed worked alongside a search firm which helped the university reach out across the nation and locate people who could fill the dean position. Even at the national level, Gealt said Masterson stood out to the committee and firm.

"(Masterson) brings a great wealth of experience with him," Gealt said. "(He) rose to the very top. Masterson was recommended by the search committee (out of the national search). I've been very happy with his performance for the last three years (at CMU) so I was very happy to have him come on as our next dean."

Masterson has had a history with the College of Health Professions, serving both as the interim dean for the past year, and associate dean prior to that. He has worked at CMU since 1999.

"Since being interim dean, (Masterson) has really been at the forefront of our accreditation issues," Gealt said. "Many of our health professions programs are accredited. He has played a major part in maintaining the accreditation of those programs."

Four candidates were chosen from a nationwide search in February to undergo finalist interviews. Candidates included John Todorovich, the department chair of exercise science and community health at the University of West Florida in Pensacola, Constance Dean Qualls, director of the Graduate Program in Speech-Language Pathology at the State University of New York at Buffalo, and Gregory Frazer dean of John G. Rangos Sr. School of Health Sciences at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh.

The candidates were interviewed early in February with the goal of the committee to have a new dean hired before the end of the semester.

Perkowski said she's happy to work alongside Masterson.

"I currently work with Dr. Masterson in my (administrative) role and I find him to be a very effective administrator," she said. "He will do a wonderful job continuing in that role."

About Jordyn Hermani

Troy senior Jordyn Hermani, Editor-in-Chief of Central Michigan Life, is a double major ...

View Posts by Jordyn Hermani →