Jaksa 'excited' for new baseball indoor practice facility

There was some good news for the Central Michigan baseball team on Friday, despite dropping the first game of a three-game series at Eastern Michigan.

The Central Michigan University Board of Trustees introduced  a 7,000 square-foot indoor practice facility which is proposed be constructed at Theunissen Stadium. An anonymous donor in September sent $500,000 to the completion of the project. The donor pledged to send an additional $500,000 for a match, which means the total could be brought to $1.5 million. Construction will begin in August and end in January 2017.

Head Coach Steve Jaksa said he heard the news on the bus trip to Ypsilanti on Friday. He said he did not tell the team about it, adding "they will know about it soon enough."

“The team knew we had gotten a couple significant gifts, lead gifts as you would call them," Jaksa said. "We knew the plans were getting into place and basically it went to the board for them to recognize and (we said,) ‘Hey, this is all the money we have. This is everything that we have to date. This is the plans’ and then they said yes."

Jaksa said plans will be finalized over the next six weeks. He said the team was confident the facility would be approved.

"We are excited about adding that to Theunissen Stadium," Jaksa said. "(It’s) just another avenue for us to get better and to have that place for our guys to go and dedicate themselves to hitting. We are excited about what it will add to our program across the board.”

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →