Q&A: Redshirt freshman Cole talks baseball, Jackie Robinson and 'Pitch Perfect 2'

Redshirt freshman pitcher and outfielder Dazon Cole has started two games on the mound and 26 as an outfielder or designated hitter this season. He is one of two Central Michigan pitchers with a .500 or higher record and is third among CMU freshman in hits with 17 in 2016. 

Central Michigan Life spoke with Cole before Monday's practice.

What's your favorite movie?

It's weird, but I actually like "Pitch Perfect 2." It's actually a really good movie.

Who was your favorite player growing up?

I liked Jim Thome. He actually got me into switch-hitting; I'm pretty good at it. And then Jimmy Rollins, too. He's also a switch-hitting shortstop and he was my idol.

Are you looking to (switch-hit) at some point?

I actually was looking to do it next year. 

Do you wear number 42 for Jackie Robinson?

I wear No. 42 for Jackie Robinson, but I also wear it for me and my brother. Growing up, I was always number four and he was always number two. I got here and number 42 was open, so I grabbed 42 for both reasons.

Who do you look up to on the team, if anybody?

I really look up to (Ryan) Heeke. He's one of the biggest role models on the team I believe and he's under the radar leadership-wise. He's really on me big time — especially in the outfield when I don't read a fly ball right or when I don't talk. He's played a big part in me developing as a player here.

Who is the funniest guy on the team and who is the most serious?

To me, the funniest guy is Jimmy (McNamara). The stuff he says is just funny. Everything, all of the comments he makes. 

I gotta put Braxton (Markle) up there with him. He's just as funny. To me, the most serious has to be (Sean) Renzi. I don't know why, but he just comes off as serious. 

What is your number one goal with this team moving forward.

As of now, the number one goal is to keep winning and to make the (Mid-American Conference) Championship. As soon as we make that, I think that's when we're going to make our big step that we haven't made yet this year.