All-clear given after bomb threat at casino

2015_1020_soaring_eagle_mb_003_as_smart_object1
The lights illuminate the night sky at Soaring Eagle Casino on Oct. 20. Monica Bradburn | Assistant Photo Editor

The all-clear was given after the Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort was evacuated Thursday night following a bomb threat.

Erik Rodriguez, interim director of Public Relations for the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe, said the casino received a bomb threat via phone call from a woman. A half hour later a similar call was made by another woman. Rodriguez said it is unknown if the two calls are related. 

The casino evacuated around 2,500 employees,guests and customers while the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribal Police swept the premises. Also on sight were Tribal Fire, Michigan State Police Bomb Squad and K-9, Isabella County Sheriff’s Department, CMU Police, Mobile Medical Response, Emergency Management Center, Clare City Police Department, Isabella County Dispatch and Midland K-9 Bomb Dogs. 

“We appreciate the multi-jurisdictional technical support and value the collaborative efforts by all agencies,” Rodriguez said. 

The all clear was given at 5:30 a.m. Friday. Rodriguez said staff are still in the process of getting the casino up and running.

"To reopen the casino after an incident of this magnitude takes strategic planning from casino/hotel management," said Tribal Chief Frank Cloutier in a press release.  "We plan to open later this morning once the appropriate measures have been completed." 

Rodriguez said a person of interest had been identified by Tribal Police, but could not confirm or deny if any arrests had been made.

Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort is owned and operated by the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe of Michigan