Spring commencement speakers named

logo

Commencement speakers for the spring 2016 graduating class include the director of the neuroscience department, a dean from Weber State University, the president of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges and the vice president of a broadcasting company.

A keynote speaker will address each of the four Central Michigan University commencement ceremonies.

Dean of the college of science at Weber State University David Matty will speak during the doctoral ceremony at 4 p.m. Friday, May 6, in Plachta Auditorium. Before being a dean at Weber State, Matty worked for 25 years at CMU as a department of geology faculty member and chairperson.

Matty will receive a Doctor of Science honorary degree.

The three undergraduate/graduate ceremonies will take place Saturday, May 7, at McGuirk Arena.

At the 9 a.m. ceremony, Presidient of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges Belle Wheelan will address the audience. She is the first african american to serve in the leadership role of president of SACSCC.

She will receive a Doctor of Public Service honorary degree.

During the 1:30 p.m. ceremony, Broadcasting Executive Eduardo Fernandez will address the graduates. Fernandez oversees 14 stations in larger-market U.S. cities.

Fernandez, who earned his bachelor's degree from CMU in 1984, will receive a Doctor of Public Service honorary degree.

Professor in the Department of Psychology and Director of Neuroscience Program Gary Dunbar will speak at the 6 p.m. ceremony. He spent 34 years working at CMU.

He earned his master's in psychology and biology from CMU in 1976.

About Kate Carlson

Editor-in-Chief Kate Carlson is a senior from Lapeer who is majoring in journalism with a minor in ...

View Posts by Kate Carlson →