Rapid Reaction: CMU 12, Toledo 3

Offensive barrage ends game in sixth inning

After winning on Friday in walk-off fashion, the Central Michigan softball team carried its momentum with it on Saturday, winning the first game of the doubleheader 12-3. The game ended in the sixth inning due to mercy rule.  

The Chippewas’ offense was quiet in the first four innings, leaving six runners on base. But the team responded with a nine-run fifth inning to take control over Toledo.

Senior second baseman Chelsea DeLamielleure battled to draw a walk and score the first run of the inning. Sophomore Lacy Tolfree then cleared the bases with a double, followed by a single by freshman Rachel Viera and double by sophomore Mason Kalina to go up 7-3.

Sophomore Sara Hansen and senior CarolAnn Sexauer added to the scoring barrage with RBI doubles of their own, capped off by an RBI double by sophomore Sydney Heath to extend the lead to 10-3.

CMU sophomore pitcher Hanna Warren handled the rest.

The Canton native went the whole game, striking out four while surrendering four hits.

Warren got into trouble in the first inning after giving up a three-run home run to Toledo’s Brittany George, but settled in shut down the Rockets the rest of the way.

Central Michigan finished with 12 runs on 12 hits. It was the most runs the team had scored all season.

CMU improves to 17-21-1 (4-8-1 Mid-American Conference) while Toledo falls to 8-30 (3-10 MAC).