Gymnastics takes second at Metroplex Challenge

Coming off a loss to Eastern Michigan last weekend, the Central Michigan gymnastics team entered into the Metroplex Challenge in Texas Saturday looking to bounce back.

The Chippewas would not take first, but would bounce back by taking second out of the four teams.

“This was a hard fought meet for us,” said head coach Jerry Reighard. “It certainly didn’t turn out the way I think any of us scripted it and there were definitely some improvements that needed to be made.”

George Washington won the meet with a score of 196.150, followed by CMU (194.125). San Jose State 193.650 and MAC rival Bowling Green 193.550 rounded out the four teams.

The Chippewas started out on the balance beam where they posted 48.75 score. The highest score coming from senior Caroline Fitzpatrick, who finished with a score of 9.825 and in close second was Katy Clements with a 9.8.

Reighard said he was impressed with the way Fitzpatrick and Clements perfromed on the beam.

“We had a really good day on beam and I was very pleased with the performances," he said. "Our captains Fitzpatrick and Clements really came through for us and that is the type of performance we are accustom to seeing.”

Next, the Chippewas went on to floor routine were they ran into some trouble. Reighard said the floor was not on the ground, but rather what he called a "podium".

This is where the floor is not on the solid ground, but raised up on stage and gives the floor more bounce. This is something Reighard said the Chippewas were not used to and only posted a score of 48.375.

After the floor routine the Chippewas bounced back on the vault and posted a score of 48.85. The highest score coming from junior captain Katy Clements, who finished with a 9.825.

After three rounds, however, the Chippewas still trailed George Washington 146.825-145.975.

“We posted a season-high score on vaulting," Reighard said. "Katy, Denelle, and Rachel Carr all did a great job and gave us a great boost.”

The Chippewas would finish the day on the uneven bars and would put a cap on what was a solid day. CMU finished with a score of 48.15, with sophomore Kasey Janowicz recording a 9.825.

“We are at a point now where I am really staying optimistic and it would be in our best interest to put a full meet together," Reighard said. "We did this at Western Michigan and we had a really great day and we need to make that a priority.”

The Chippewas will play host to Illinois State Feb. 5, Sunday at 1 p.m.