Reighard remains confident as gymnastics faces tough test in Texas

Heading into Saturday's meet against Bowling Green, San Jose State, and No. 18 George Washington, gymnastics head coach Jerry Reighard said he is confident in how his team will match up with some of the best competition in the country.

"I think we're right where we want to be," Reighard said. "It's certainly not a stretch for us to be at that 196 level. It all comes down to doing your jobs."

The Metroplex Challenge will the be the first major road trip of the year, as the Chippewas travel to Fort Worth, Texas for the event. Aside from an away meet against Ball State in Indiana, Reighard said this trip to Texas will be the biggest road meet of the year for CMU.

"It's a lot of fun, that's why kids want to be on a Division I program because you do get to see some places you've never seen before," he said. 

Reighard said the team can improve substantially if the team enters the meet unintimidated, unlike their last meet against defending MAC champion Eastern Michigan where the Chippewas lost 195.925-194.650.

"We need to do our gymnastics," he said. "The thing that got to me the most, for whatever reason, Eastern Michigan intimidated us and that really didn't set well with me. Our focus has to be on staying on the apparatus."