Athletics unveils opponents for 2017 football season

logo

After finishing its 2016 season 6-7 overall and 3-5 in the Mid-American Conference, the Central Michigan football team unveiled its 2017 opponents Friday.

The Chippewas will welcome MAC rivals Eastern Michigan, Northern Illinois, Toledo and Miami (Ohio) to Kelly/Shorts Stadium as four of its five home games of the season. Dates and kickoff times have not yet been announced.

CMU's season opener is scheduled for Aug. 31 at home against Colonial Athletic Association foe Rhode Island. The Rams finished their 2016 season 2-9 overall and 1-7 in the CAA.

CMU is slated to play away games against Kansas on Sept. 9, Syracuse on Sept. 16 and Boston College on Sept. 30.

Head Coach John Bonamego will enter his third year at CMU while former Michigan players Nick Sheridan and Marcus Knight will begin their first season on the coaching staff.

Sheridan, a former Michigan quarterback from 2006-09 was hired by Bonamego as the Chippewas' new running backs coach. Knight, who helped the Wolverines to a national championship in 1997 and a Rose Bowl victory in 1998, will start his first year at CMU as the wide receivers coach to complete the staff for the 2017 season.

About McKenzie Sanderson

McKenzie Sanderson is the Sports Editor at Central Michigan Life. She is a senior at Central ...

View Posts by McKenzie Sanderson →