Chippewas take on Notre Dame in annual 'Clash at Comerica'

For the first time in the past six seasons, the Central Michigan baseball team will play a new opponent in the annual Clash at Comerica. 

Clash at Comerica is an opportunity for different colleges to play baseball at Comerica Park. For the previous six seasons, CMU has faced Michigan State in Detroit. The Chippewas will take on Notre Dame at 7:05 p.m. at Comerica Park on Tuesday, April 18.

Head coach Steve Jaksa said playing at Comerica is a great opportunity. 

"We get a good alumni base down there to see us play a quality opponent in Notre Dame," Jaksa said. "It's great for the guys. It's good for the university and our team to go down there and (play) the game of baseball in that game and in that situation."

The Chippewas took two of three games against Western Michigan over the weekend, and have won eight of their last 10 games sitting with a record of 19-16 and 8-1 in Mid-American Conference play. 

Currently, the Chippewas sit at the top of their conference. They have a one-game lead over Eastern Michigan in the MAC West division. 

Notre Dame has a record of 15-20 so far this season, coming off a weekend where they were swept by Wake Forest.

The Irish are led on offense by Senior Kyle Fiala. Fiala leads the team with 39 hits and four home runs. Junior right-handed pitcher Charlie Vorsheck is expected to start the game on the mound for Notre Dame. 

Sophomore right-handed pitcher Michael Brettell is starting the game for the Chippewas. Brettell has a record of 5-1 so far and has posted a 4.41 earned run average. 

Senior Alex Borglin ranks second on the team in batting average (.310), on base percentage (.407), and hits (45). Borglin leads the team in runs scored (34) and total plate appearances (175). 

Borglin says they are going to treat the Clash at Comerica as a normal game. 

"I know it's a big stage — playing Notre Dame at Comerica where the (Detroit) Tigers play," Borglin said. "We are going to go out there with the same approach and compete.

"It's going to be a lot of fun and a great atmosphere. I'm really excited."

After playing Notre Dame, CMU travels to Bowling Green, Ohio to face MAC opponent Bowling Green in a three-game series. The first game is at 3:00 p.m. on Friday, April 21.