Knapp earns fifth MAC West Pitcher of the Week selection

047a1784

Senior pitcher Rachael Knapp pitches the ball to a Kent State player on April 2 at Margo Jonker Stadium.

At this point, it is starting to become a routine for Central Michigan softball senior pitcher Rachael Knapp who earned her fifth Mid-American Conference West Pitcher of the Week honors.

The St. Joseph native pitched a total of 25 innings while striking out 28 batters over the three games she pitched in. She posted a 1-2 record, but had a earned run average of just 1.40. 

Knapp started the week with a 2-0 loss to No. 20 Michigan, allowing just five hits while striking out two batters. 

On Saturday, Knapp tossed 11 innings of work and allowed seven hits, while tallying a grand total of 13 strikeouts for her 11th win of the season. 

She followed that performance with a 3-2 loss against Kent State on Sunday in the weekend finale, with all three runs charged to her. 

It was Knapp’s sixth loss of the season, but she struck out 13 batters once again and gave up three hits.

Knapp leads the team with an 11-6 record, 1.58 ERA and 161 strikeouts.

Junior catcher Maison Kalina earned a nomination this week for MAC West Player of the Week, with her walk-off single to win Saturday’s game 1-0. Kalina went 6-for-13 (.426 batting average) while totaling three runs batted during the weekend.

The Chippewas will now hit the road for five-straight games, starting with a doubleheader against their rival Western Michigan on Tuesday with the first pitch scheduled for 1 p.m.