Weekly farmers markets scheduled to return Thursday

Auburn Hills junior Jessica Lalone browses through locally grown fruits and vegetables during the Campus Grow farmer's market on Oct. 6 on Broomfield Street.

The Mount Pleasant Farmer's Market will begin hosting its weekly Thursday market events from 7:30 a.m. until 2 p.m. starting Thursday at the South Shelter in Island Park.

While offering in-season fruits and vegetables, the Farmers Market works with other businesses in Mount Pleasant to host activities that help educate the community about healthy living. 

According to its mission statement, the Farmers Market is meant to be an opportunity for residents and visitors to connect with local farmers and artisan food producers, inspiring healthier lifestyle and eating choices, and strengthening the local economy. 

The market is an opportunity for shoppers to get a closer view at what they're eating from its source, says market manager Carol Moody.

"There's an education to it, in addition to getting the fresh fruits and vegetables," Moody said. "You're able to ask about their growing practices, or all kinds of questions that you can ask with that face-to-face contact. It all makes it more of an experience than regular shopping."

The Chippewa River District Library will host a booth, offering the opportunity to check out and return books. Many of the books they offer will be about gardening and cooking.

The Farmers Market will be hosting weekly activities based around its Garden Heroes, which are stuffed animal that teach children about nutrition using characters like Adam Apricot and Zoey Zucchini. 

On-site cooking demonstrations will be held on select weeks. The demonstrations will be hosted be local dietitians and chefs through the Office of Parks and Recreation, and will focus on seasonal dishes including beet lemonade, blueberry salsa, kale salad and more.

Weekly Saturday markets will be held from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. starting June 24 at City Hall.