Isabella County declares 'state of disaster' with sewage discharge in river, 90 roads closed

Lt. Gov. Brian Calley declared a “state of disaster” for Isabella and Midland counties after heavy thunderstorms left parking lots, roads and the lower levels of multiple homes underwater.

Nearly six inches of rain fell overnight Thursday. The storms caused a sewage discharge into the Chippewa River, 90 roads were closed and nearly 120 people in Isabella County have been displaced from their homes due to flooding.

County officials declared on Friday a state of emergency, which is a step in the process of seeking state and federal funding to repair roads and bridges destroyed by flood waters.

No flood-related injuries have yet been reported.

By declaring a “state of disaster,” Michigan activated the State Emergency Operations Center, which coordinates response and recovery efforts of state agencies and local government.

The Isabella County Central Dispatch urges citizens to stay off the roads as much as possible until a final inspection can be completed. Residents are also urged to stay off the Chippewa River until it returns to a normal depth.

The areas affected the most by flooding were bordered by Broomfield on the south and High Street on the north and between Isabella and Mission, said Director of the Mount Pleasant Department of Public Safety, Paul Lauria.

All city parks on the river, including Nelson Park and Deerfield Nature Park, are underwater and closed.

The American Red Cross of Mid-Michigan set up a shelter at Mount Pleasant High School for residents of the city who have been displaced. The majority of people displaced from the flood lived in Park Place Apartments and Timber Creek Apartments, said Red Cross representative Cindy Havens.

For more information on the shelter, residents affected by flooding are encouraged to call 211.

For the most updated road closures, visit the Isabella County Central Dispatch Facebook page. Here is a list of the roads affected by flooding:

About McKenzie Sanderson

McKenzie Sanderson is the Sports Editor at Central Michigan Life. She is a senior at Central ...

View Posts by McKenzie Sanderson →