Thrilling Thursdays scavenger hunt offers tour of Downtown

More than 20 teams scoured Downtown Mount Pleasant Thursday looking for local landmarks and solving riddles in a scavenger hunt hosted by the City of Mount Pleasant.

The event was part of the 10-week Thrilling Thursdays series, which encourages residents to be active and explore the Mount Pleasant community. 

The purpose of the scavenger hunt was to introduce participants to what the Downtown district can offer, said Melinda Salchert, special events coordinator for the City of Mount Pleasant.

"We tried to incorporate a bunch of different aspects of the Downtown experience," Salchert said. "We were really lucky this year because so many businesses wanted to participate." 

The list of objectives for scavenger hunt was put together by Salchert and City of Mount Pleasant intern Mandy Moeggenborg. The list contained 49 objectives in total, ranging from visiting local businesses like Blue Gator and GreenTree Cooperative Grocery, to creating a conga line of 10 people. 

Special care was taken to make this year's hunt more difficult than the previous year. Last year's event was completed so quickly that two separate hunts were hosted, both having winning teams that clocked in at 21 minutes. The first winning team for this year checked in one hour and 15 minutes after the hunt officially began.

The winners were decided by who completed the hunt first. The first place prize was a $100 gift certificate to Pisanello's Pizza. Other prizes included a $75 certificate for Stan's Restaurant, a $50 certificate for Max and Emily's, and numerous $25 certificates for other local businesses. 

For the fourth week of Thrilling Thursdays, the City of Mount Pleasant will be teaming up with Central Michigan University's Museum of Cultural and Natural History for an event titled Bugs R Us.

The full schedule for the Thrilling Thursdays series is as follows:

• July 6: Bugs R Us
  • July 13: Fun with Vegetables
  • July 20: Mad Science Fair
  • July 27: Superhero and Princess Extravaganza
  • August 3: Stepping Stones
  • August 10: Urban Printmaking
  • August 17: Supersoaker Festivus