Let the games begin

Volleyball, field hockey opens season on Welcome Weekend, soccer faces Robert Morris

As incoming freshmen, returning students and visitors flock to Mount Pleasant for Welcome Weekend, some of Central Michigan University's student-athletes will sport their maroon and gold on volleyball courts and soccer fields in New York, Pennsylvania and Oakland.

Friday marks the beginning of the 2017 season for Central Michigan volleyball and field hockey. For its fourth game of the season, the soccer team will play on its home field against Robert Morris. Volleyball kicks off its first two matches of the Army Invitational in West Point, New York, and field hockey opens the season against Saint Francis in Loretto, Pennsylvania.

Soccer

CMU fans caught their first glimpse of the 2017 Chippewa soccer team on Aug. 12 when junior forward Lexi Pelafas scored in the final 10 minutes to defeat Michigan State 1-0 in an exhibition game. The team opened the season last weekend with a 0-1-1 finish at the Rock Chalk Invitational in Lawrence, Kansas. After tying with Tulsa 1-1 last Friday, Aug. 18, the Chippewas fell to Kansas 3-0 on Sunday.

Coming off a 15-3-3 season in 2016, the Chippewas were picked to finish second in the Mid-American Conference West Division this year in a poll of league coaches.

Friday's home game against Robert Morris is scheduled for 3 p.m. at the Soccer/Lacrosse Complex. CMU then heads to Rochester to face Oakland at 1 p.m. Sunday.

Volleyball

CMU volleyball played its first match in front of fans as Chippewas fell to Ferris State 3-1 last Saturday, Aug. 19, in an exhibition match at McGuirk Arena.

The Bulldogs won the first two sets 25-23 and 25-17, respectively. CMU bounced back to take the third set 25-15. In the end, Ferris State proved to be too much for the Chippewas as the Bulldogs won an intense fourth set 34-32.

In their second season under Head Coach Mike Gawlik, the Chippewas will look to build off of a fifth-place finish in the Mid-American Conference. CMU will open the regular season this Saturday at the Army Invitational in West Point, New York, with matchups against Saint Francis, Hartford and Army.

Field Hockey

The Chippewas open the season with a trip to Pennsylvania, where they will take on Saint Francis at 1 p.m. Friday, and Lock Haven at noon Sunday.

CMU and league newcomer Appalachian State finished tied for sixth in the MAC in a preseason poll of league coaches. The Chippewas finished 1-17 overall and 0-6 in the MAC in 2016.

About McKenzie Sanderson

McKenzie Sanderson is the Sports Editor at Central Michigan Life. She is a senior at Central ...

View Posts by McKenzie Sanderson →