Football escapes triple overtime panic

Senior wide receiver Mark Chapman runs during the football game against University of Rhode Island on Aug. 31 in Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

The season opener ended in a nail-biter for the Central Michigan football team against Rhode Island. 

Led by a senior-heavy secondary, CMU topped Rhode Island in the third overtime by a score of 30-27 when Devon Spalding reached the end zone on a 4-yard touchdown run at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. The CMU defense recorded six interceptions in Thursday’s game.

“I need to be better,” graduate transfer quarterback Shane Morris said. “It’s hard to win in college football, no matter who you are playing.

“We stayed composed and got the job done.”

CMU was the only FBS team on Rhode Island’s schedule this season.

The Chippewas start the season 1-0. The first conference game against Miami (OH) on Saturday, Sept. 23. 

In the second quarter, Morris was flushed out of the pocket in URI territory. While running up the sideline, he leaped over the opposing linebacker who attempted to make the tackle.

“I don’t really know where that came from,” Morris said. “When something like that happens, it elevates the people around you. Confidence stayed for the whole game.”

Just a few plays later, Morris threw his first touchdown pass since his high school days.

In the maroon and gold under the lights, CMU’s offense was off to a slow start and the defense anchored the team’s performance.

Morris was still in the gun after the second half started. Bonamego stated that both quarterbacks would play in the season opener on Aug. 20 at CMU Football Media Day. 

Rhode Island scored a 56-yard touchdown pass to close the gap late in the third quarter. The touchdown gave life to the URI sideline.

The game came down to the fourth quarter, where CMU struggled to get much going on offense. 

Jonathan Ward extended the lead with a 56-yard rushing touchdown early in the fourth. CMU went for two and converted the pass to Chapman from Morris. Ward finished with 147 yards rushing and one touchdown.

Rhode Island wide receiver Marven Beauvais kept his team in the game by catching an 80-yard touchdown pass to put the team within one touchdown. 

But CMU still couldn’t close out the game with three minutes remaining. Morris fumbled the ball within their own red zone.

URI took advantage and tied the game with a 14-yard touchdown pass with 2:23 remaining in the fourth quarter.

The Rams got the first opportunity to score in overtime and kicked a 42-yard field goal. 

Morris had trouble with the snap in scoring position setting the Chippewas back. Armstrong hit a 22-yard field goal to keep CMU alive in overtime.

Morris fumbled the snap once again in second overtime, turning the ball over to the Rams, who missed the winning field goal.

In the third overtime, URI received the ball first and scored a 36-yard field goal.

CMU finished the game by getting a first down and leaving it up to the senior running back Spalding to punch it in from the 4-yard line to give CMU an overtime win.

Defensive backs Josh Cox and Amari Coleman had a strong showing in tonight’s game. 

Coleman’s night was highlighted by a one-handed interception at the sideline after Rhode Island reached CMU territory for the first time in the second half. Coleman got his second interception of the game with 7 minutes remaining in the fourth. 

Cox led the team in tackles, including one pass break-up in the first quarter. He went on to snag two interceptions and finish with eight tackles.

CMU finished with 499 yards in total offense. Morris completed 25 of 49 passes, recording 226 yards with both an interception and touchdown pass.

“I think (Morris’ decision making) could be better,” head coach John Bonamego said. “This might be his third start. I have a lot of confidence in him. Sometimes you just never know what is going to happen until you get in live games.”

CMU’s defense created 6 turnovers. The last time that CMU tallied six interceptions in a single game was in 1990 against Miami (OH).

“(Six interceptions) gives us a lot of confidence,” junior linebacker Alex Briones said. “Those interceptions kept us in the game.”

CMU travels to Lawrence, Kansas to face Kansas University at 4 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 9.